Here's a recipe for a tasty treat to warm you up on a cold Canadian winter day.
Candied Wild Ginger Recipe
- 1.5 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups water
- 50 grams dried dried Wild Ginger broken into 1/2′′ to 2′′ pieces. (rootlets rubbed off).
- extra sugar for coating when done.
- bring the water to a boil
- give your dry Wild Ginger a quick but thorough scrub in cold water.
- add Wild Ginger pieces to boiling water, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- stir in sugar till dissolved and simmer for another 15 minutes.
- set aside to cool down to room temperature
- once cooled, put it in a jar and let it sit for 2 days in a covered non metallic jar.
- drain all the liquid and let the Wild Ginger pieces stand in a colander till they stop dripping.
- take 1 cup of sugar for each 50 grams of original dried Wild Ginger, mix the sugar and Ginger in a bowl till the ginger no longer picks up sugar granules.
- let them dry
- put your candied Wild Ginger loosely into a well sealed glass or ceramic jar to keep for future use.
*recipe and image from apothecarysgarden.com